Today marks one year since this peculiar baby boy decided it was his time to see the earth. The memories of his birth are less than desirable. No first sweet moments together, no cuddling, no bonding, no nursing. Heck, I didn't even get to get a good look at the kid (besides his feet when he was in an incubator about to board a helicopter for a hospital an hour away from myself and my freshly severed abdomen). The next two weeks involved us temporarily moving into Jonathan's parents house to be closer to the hospital. And their bedroom nonetheless. We will always be grateful for their generosity to us in that time. It made the recovery more bearable. Anderson spent the next two weeks in the NICU--struggling along. It was tough. It was an emotional roller coaster. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm already praying that the next baby (who is NCY, btw) is overdue rather than 6 weeks early.
Throughout Anderson's pregnancy and his first year, I've often thought about the baby that should have been. We conceived a baby in May of 2010. That baby went straight from my womb to the arms of Jesus at the end of June. Then, Anderson was created at the end of that same year. I can not imagine a more amazing little boy than my sweet Anderson. But there will always be a place in my heart and my mind for the baby that we won't meet until we get "over yonder".
So, today we celebrate Andy's life. He has more personality than any baby I've ever known. He is saying da da, ma ma, na na, and all sorts of fun sounds. He could have been walking two months ago, but he is too cautious to try it on his own. Funny, because he's not cautious to try anything else--emptying the cabinets, emptying the dishwasher, opening the fridge and throwing things onto the floor, climbing up the entertainment center, climbing in the washer, playing in the toilet. He is such a boy. In to EVERYTHING. But, he is so much fun. And he brings so much joy to us.
It is so fun to watch Emily and Anderson's relationship develop. They are playing together more now. In fact, last night I sat in the recliner for about 10 minutes just listening to their giggles in Emily's bedroom. She dumps out her box of shoes and tries them all on. Apparently it's pretty funny. Anderson will crawl back out into the hallway periodically to check on me and make sure I'm still in sight. He is absolutely a mommy's boy. Anyone who has been around us for long will testify to that. This is my first experience with attachment like that. Emily has been independent from the get go. Sometimes the attachment with Anderson is trying (ok, a lot of times). But, that look he gives me when he hasn't seen me for a while and the hugs that immediately follow are almost more than this mama's heart can take.
Anderson never did take a bottle. He's been a master nurser. Thanks in part to that, I'm back to my old college sized self. However, I've been wondering how to wean him. I started praying about it a week ago. The night before last, he refused the breast and self-soothed to sleep (something he has never done). Yesterday, he refused the breast at both naptimes (yes, he still needs two naps) and refused it again at bedtime. I must add, he absolutely did not refuse to nurse during his two mid-night wakings. Of course those will be the last to go. I thought that I was ready for him to stop nursing, but now that he's doing it on his own, I'm not so sure. I know it's time and I know we've had a good run of it. Nursing my babies is one of the sweetest experiences I've had yet in life. I fully recommend nursing for a year. The benefits for mom and baby are absolutely immeasurable. We are reaping those benefits.
Anderson is a happy, healthy, filled-with-personality baby boy. Not to mention, he already eats us out of house and home. With both the heavenly Father and his daddy's leading, I can't' wait to see the man that he will grow into. For now, we are enjoying our day to day play times, meals together, snuggles, and learning experiences.
I love you, sweet boy.
*Note: NCY=not conceived yet*
I remember praying for you guys so much during those first few weeks. I'm so glad that it's a year on and he's a healthy baby becoming a healthy little boy.
ReplyDelete